Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Antique Toy Con by John Russo




Jason Chapman recently retired from the Merchant Marines decides to follow in his parents’ footsteps by traveling the antique road show circuit as he did with them as a child. Having left him a fair collection of dolls and toys to start with, he soon discovers the value of one in particular. He also recalled how his father was once duped by an unsavoury collector and vowed to not let any of them get the better of him. In fact he had a plan to retaliate. Like all plans however the unforeseen can happen.


This is a very short story by John Russo.  Mornings when I just missed my bus on the way to work, I probably could have read it before the next one came.   

Bent on revenge, Jason Chapman travels the antique show circuit selling fake toy cars.  He inserts old pennies into them to “authenticate” their ages.  He will, after all, be selling them to antique dealers who know a thing or two about such things.  His fakes have to pass inspection.  I found the story fascinating since I don’t know very much about antiques, even though revenge isn’t my cup of tea.  Jason’s painstaking forgeries are almost flawless and his sales technique—I wish I had him selling my books.  I do recommend this short story.


Price:  $0.99

No comments:

Post a Comment